Ask an expert

06 Jul 2005

operation of broken ankle gone wrong
my sister had and ankle operation due to accident where her ankle bones where fused with pins about 3 years ago. she now experiences great pain in her ankles on a daily basis due to inflammed arthritis that she has basically being told to live with because the pins can never be removed. Also due to the operation her foot does lie flush on the ground and after speaking to a surgeon he has suggested that the only way to rectify this is to cut up the ankle bone refuse them and remove the muscle form one side of the foot/ankle and put it at a different point. he has stated it is a 50/50 operation. what should we do. Can you refer any surgeons that have prehaps done this operation before.
Answer 321 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

01 Jan 0001

Dear Karen
Unfortunately I do not know in which area you live. I suggest you contact your GP and ask him who the best orthopaedic surgeon in you area is and specifically one that specialises in foot surgery. You are entitled to more than one oppinion. You can also try and contact the Ortopaedic Association for names of doctors in you area. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.