Question

02 Apr 2007

Original JKD
Hi Morné,

I have been doing some searching round the net, and came across "leejkd [dot] com"
Is there anyway one can learn/find out what it is that is taught?

I know there has always been debate about what JKD is, and what it is not, but would Bruce Lee's "original" teachings have feasibility in today's self-defence world?
(I've always found it a difficult question to answer)

Thank you for keeping the forum updated!

gC

PS Does Richard S still train in Sandton? I'd like to start training soon. Thanks again!
Self defence expert
self defence expert

Hi Golden Child,

Nice hearing from you. Visited the site you mentioned and the first thing that caught my eye is 'Learn Bruce Lee's Original Jeet Kune Do' Now it all depends what your goals are. If i wanted to learn what Bruce Lee taught technically and during the 60-70 era then this will be the organisation to join. It is also interesting to see that you just pay your $500 and they certify you as a Masters Instructor. I recognise about 5 'Instructors' in their listings who have contacted me personally to be certified withing the last couple of months, with the intention of not doing any training just sending them a certificates. I do not agree with this.
Bruce Lee was way ahead of his era of thinking in the Martial Arts. The techniques, tactics, training methods and philosophy during his time was not on the same level as his personal expression i.e. JKD. As mentioned by others on the forum it is not a style, it is not this it is not that. The whole idea with JKD is about a personal expression of what works in realistic combat. There are many variables involved which will then determine what works and what doesnt. Bruce Lee was also very big on ensuring that ones training evolves with the times. Not just on the competitive scene but the Social and Asocial violence environment things have changed allot since Bruce Lee's era or evena couple years back.

Re trapping. The trapping that this site or any traditional JKD practitioner usually refers to is based on the Wing Chun system and involves energy drills like Chi Sau, Hubat etc. Things have evovled since then as i can guarantee you this these things are not used in a tested environment like full contact cage fighting. We can still refer to the term trapping as it will include such things like holding onto a limb or trapping your opponent against a wall or cage etc. Again this is not to knock any style or system it all depends on what your goals and your reality is..

Morne
www.jkd.co.za