Question

Osteo Arthritis
Diet Doc

My mom was recently diagnosed with osteo arthritis of the hip. I believe that diet and exercise will help slow the progression of the condition. Please recommend an appropriate diet for some one with such a condition.

Dear Tracy
Osteo-arthritis may respond to increasing intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Your Mom can take Salmon oil capsules which you can buy at health shops or the chemist. Foods enriched with omega-3 fatty acids such as omega-3 enriched eggs and milk are available at certain supermarkets. To help her body cope with the inflammation, she can also eat more fish and fresh fruits and vegetables. Gentle exercise such as swimming is also beneficial, but she should consult her doctor before she does a specific type of exercise to ensure that she does not damage the joint.