Question

Osteoarthritis in spine 'cos have O-poro
Hi Cyberdoc

I have very controlled Osteoporosis (since '91) in my spine as well as arthritis in my hands. Since the weekend (19/8) I have had excrutiating pain in my lower back, only on the left side tho. Could this be arthritis as my doctor says I have osteoarthritis in my spine as a result of the osteoporosis!!?? Anyway I am sitting here with a hotwater bottle pressed up against my lower back which seems to be helping, but from being an extremely active and very supple person I feel like a cripple and can hardly bend over or even battled to get out of bed this am. Pse give me your thoughts.

Dee
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

Dear Bag o' bones
It could be that you hurt the sacro-iliac joint by performing a sudden movement. Osteo arthritis can cause little bony spikes on the vertebrae (osteophytes) that can also cause some discomfort. I suggest you see a neurosurgeon for an opinion if the pain persists. It may also be a bad muscle spasm , but all the same, I think you should get an expert opinion.
Also- don't sit up, rather stand or lie down. Sitting is not very good when you have a back injury. I hope you are taking some anti-inflammatories like Voltaren or Brufen etc.