Ask an expert

13 Mar 2003

My mom, aged 62 has been diagnosed with osteopenia in her spine and hip. What exactly is this condition, can it be treated and if so, how? What are the long-term effects of the medication and what will happen if the osteopenia gets worse?
Answer 368 views

01 Jan 0001

Worried, it means that the bone density is lower than it should be. It’s not always possible to reverse, but stopping the deterioration is often possible.
If the osteopenia gets worse it will become osteoporosis with all its complications. This is Treated with drugs like Fosamax®, Miacalcic® and Evista®. Your mother should ask her doctor about them.
Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9267 votes
66% - 17861 votes