Question

Otitis Media - 12 year old

I''ll really appreciate advice - my daughter is suffering from otitis media for the last 4 weeks (caused by URI initially). 2 Courses antibiotics later and the use of Sinugesic has not cleared it up. She still experience ear pain, but no fever. I have her on ACC now. Anytjing else you can recommend? I am really at my wit''s end and does not want to go to our GPs where she will just get more antibiotics.

Cyberdoc

Hallo JK
Stop the ACC/decongestants - it tends to thicken the phlegm in the middle ear. Try giving her something like Bronkese to loosen the phlegm, try using Vibrocil nose spray twice a day for 5 days - in the nose (to open the Eustachian tubes that leads from the middle ear to the back of the throat)Also try something like echinacea to boost her immunity. However if she develops a fever higher than 38 degrees you need to take her back for a second look.