Question

Ovarian Cyst
Hi Doc,

just wanna find out if ovarian cysts causes infertility?

Im 30yrs, i have ovarian cysts and hv been trying to fall pregnant for last 6months with no luck. have not been on contraceptions for over 3 yrs and have a normal cycle, my hormone levels are fine.My gyane has suggested a L/scope surgery. whats yo opinion on this?

Dear Bubu

Generally ovarian cysts do not cause infertility. However if your gynaecologist says that you have a condition called Polycystic ovarian syndrome which has multiple small ovarian cysts-like structures then that condition certainly causes infertility because it normally causes anovulation. I don’t think that this is the situation in your particular case because you have regular menstrual periods. Then there are cyst caused by a condition called endometriosis and these cysts have fluid in it that looks like dark blood. The condition can certainly cause infertility. The need for laparoscopy surgery for an ovarian cyst will depend on the size of the cyst, nature and position of the cyst and your gynaecologist would be the best physician to suggest if it is required or not.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo