Question

Ovarian Cysts and Hysterectomy
Please help urgently. My mother has discovered a cyst on her ovary which should have been removed when she went for a hysterectomy in 1974 (the ovary). She is currently in hospital and is going for a sonar to check the ovarian cyst but her doctor said she will need to go for a hystrectomy as well. Is this absolutely neccessary? This is surely major surgery and my mom is 73 years old. Can they not just remove the cysts laproscopically without the need for major surgery at her age? Please advise, we are incredibly nervous. Thanks and Regards,

If she has had a hysterectomy she can;t have another one. You may mean that she needs a laparotomy. At her age the chances of a cancerous cyst are high, hence the need for open exploratory surgery.