Question

over excited
From day one my Golden Retriever curls up like a letter C whenever she gets excited.

He he such a loving dog, and a wonderful temperament

How do I overcome this problem
Dog Behaviour Expert
Dog Behaviour Expert

Hi GT, arn't Goldies the most wonderful dogs - they really use their bodies to show their emotions! What she is doing is normal,maybe just over excited. I really dont see this as a problem, but to calm her down, in the instances when she does get excited, you can try and anticipate the behaviour and teach her to sit before the behaviour gets too excited. The 'sit' is a wonderful exercise to really have firmly entrenched - think about it, if a dog is sitting, it cant jump up, curl its body, bump family and friends, bold out of door, pester disturb people etc.
To really entrench the 'sit', start to make her work for her living (which every dog should do anyway) and use her daily allowence to implement this i.e. sit for food, (feed every piece seperately asking for a sit first), sit for attention, sit before ball thrown, sit every single time she comes to people, sit before opening door, sit while out for a walk, sit before crossing a road etc, etc. Within a very short period of time you will have a well behaved dog who will be less likely to get over excited. Do try and let me know how it goes, cheers Scotty