Question

overtraining?
I train 4 times a week, from Monday to Thursday first thing in the morning. Everyday I do 20 min of running between 75 and 90% of max heart rate and then do another 20 min interval training [running] the “body for life" way. Mondays and Wednesdays I do legs and Tuesdays stomach and back and on Thursdays stomach, arms and chest. My body feels very tired and sore. I know I am supposed to feel that I have trained but I do not want to over train. Please advice.

Hi Lies

The fact that you are feeling tired and sore all the time seems to me to indicate that you may be overdoing it slightly. I'm not convinced of this though, and frankly, it's impossible to say with any guarantee, because everyone is so different and responds so differently to training, that you may not be overdoing it. A lot depends on what you were doing in the weeks before this programme began. In otherwords, if you were doing very little training, and then suddenly you started this programme of quite hard running and weight training, then it would not be surprising that you are tired and sore, and I would suggest that you back off the training for a little while. It just sounds as though you are in a phase of 'overreaching', which can very easily become overtraining if you are not careful. So, I think it's important to back off the training for a week - not completely, but perhaps cut out the second running session, or reduce the running session to 30 minutes of easy running. Having said this, if you have only just started with this new trainining programme, then it's quite reasonable to expect that you will be sore - it usually takes a little while to adapt to the training and any time that you start a new training programme, you will feel it for a little while. Now, this is where it gets tricky - you have to make a decision about whether this tiredness will go away, which it might, or you can back off the training. Personally, I would back off and build up again more slowly - you have no need to be rushing into the training, and so taking it easy minimizes the risk and maximizes your long term gain.

GOod luck