Question

Overweight 10 yr old
Good Day, my daughter is 150cm tall and weighs approx 62kg''s. I am considering putting her on the Weigh Less diet. Would you recommend that I do this?

Dear Julie
Although I have the highest regard for the Weigh-Less system, I do think that weightloss in children should be guided by a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to ensure that they still obtain all the nutrients they require for normal growth while losing weight. Your lassie has a BMI of 25,56, which is in the obese category, so I would recommend that she should be assessed by a registered dietitian, who will then help her lose weight by working out an individual diet plan for her. Physical activity is one of the most important factors in assisting young people to lose weight, so try and encourage your daughter to become more active. If necessary go for walks with her or let her join Walk for Life or a good gym. As she loses weight and becomes more mobile, she can increase the intensity of exercise programme.