Question

Overweight

I was diagnosed with Hypoglycaemia in November 2009 and started using glucophage. I went to a dietician and followed a low GI diet, I lost 5kg in one month and nothing from there on. I lost a lot of cm''s however. Last year on the 31 August 2010 I had to have a double operation, I had a hysterectomy and my gall bladder was removed due to gallstones. From thereon nothing really changed. I stopped using the glucophage as I was feeling much better. I started feeling ill again in October and had to have bloods again, showing my hypoglycaemia was still there, so back onto glucophage. I picked up 7kg up to now. My stomach works at least 3 to 6 times a day and I started back on the low GI diet. I feel so disponded as I am not loosing any weight or cm''s. Please can you help or advise what I should do.

Dear Kerstin
I am sorry to hear that you have had 2 operations. Are you sure that you were diagnosed with hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) and not insulin resistance (IR)? in November 2009? Glucophage is usually prescribed for IR and high blood sugar levels. Because you have had the operations and your entire diet programme seems to be seriously disturbed, I would recommend that you return to your dietitian ASAP. The dietitian will have to help you get back to eating a low-fat, low-GI diet. Discuss the use of the Glucophage with the dietitian because one of the side-effects of this medication can be diarrhoea. The dietitian will also be able to determine if the gallbladder op has affected your fat absorption and adjust your diet accordingly.
Holding thumbs that you will soon feel much better and start losing weight again.