Ask an expert

01 Jul 2005

Overweight and sick of it
There is evidently an operation one can have which 'relocates' the colon? so that food passes through before too much of it is digested and therefore absorbed. Who does not type of operation and can anyone make a recommendation
Answer 372 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Reader
There are a number of operations available which bypass one or other part of the digestive tract to prevent excess food absorption and promote weight loss, e.g. gastric bypass, etc. You need to ask your gp to refer you to a surgeon in your area that does such operations. They can be very successful, but you must keep in mind that this is a big operation and that such operations are always associated with certain risks. They are also very expensive and it is doubtful if medica aids will pay unless the dr can motivate that your overweight is putting your health and life at risk. But get that referral and discuss all these points with the surgeon.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9325 votes
67% - 18756 votes