Question

Ozone therapy - good or bad?

An alternative health consultant told me that ozone therapy is very good for the health of a person - increasing the oxygen levels in the body, thereby reducing the risk of getting certain diseases - like cancer which apparently thrives in anaerobic conditions in the body. He sold me a little apparatus that you plug into the cigarette lighter plug in the car, which apparently puts out 15% ozone - supposed increasing wakefulness along with lots of other health benefits. However, I've been subsequently told that ozone is dangerous to the health and causes one's lungs to age prematurely. What is correct? Would you advise me to stop using this little apparatus?

EnviroHealth expert
envirohealth expert

I would advise you not to use this apparatus.

Ozone-generating devices have not been shown by reputable studies to be effective in improving air quality or resulting in positive health effects. At a certain concentration in the air, ozone can indeed have negative health effects, of which lung damage is one. At higher levels, ozone can reduce the levels of certain pollutants in the air - but then it can also react with other molecules to produce more pollutants. The chemistry of atmospheric ozone is highly complex and not fully understood; at high levels in the lower atmosphere ozone is considered a pollutant, and is a component of smog. If the device only produces a low level of ozone, it's unlikely to do any harm - but then it won't have any effect on air quality either and will be just a waste of money.

Ozone therapy as used to treat cancer and other conditions has also not been shown to be effective to a reliable degree, and the risks are of concern to many medical scientists.