Question

Pain after cholecystectomy
I had my gall bladder removed a month ago and am still in quite bad pain. The pain is in exactly the same area as my removed gall bladder. It is like a huge lump which cramps up and then goes round into my back and although I get a day or so free from pain some days, most mornings I wake up with it. I had another scan done 5 days ago and it didnt show anything wrong.

I was told I seem to have adhesions from old surgery which may be inflammed, but its not that kind of pain. I was also told by the surgeon it sounds like an ulcer but its not that kind of pain and its in the wrong place.

I dont know what to do any more, as I can barely walk and no doctor seems to know what to tell me, except to keep waiting and see what happens. But its been a month already and I just seem to get worse with each week.

Hallo Maggie

other things that can cause a pain in the right upper abdomen except gallstones are:
Infection in the base of the lung or just under the diaphragm
Liverdisease
Pancreatitis
Kidney problems
Bowel problems
referred pain from peptic ulcer
Referred pain from pinched nerve in the back

Maybe you should get a second opinion from a gastroenterologist - an x/ray and blood tests for liverfunctions and pancreas enzymes may be useful as well as a gastroscopy to evaluate the inside of the stomach and upper small intestine. You may even have a stone stuck in the pancreatic tube that is causing the cramping!