Question

Pain and tenderness under left breast
Dear doctor

I am a relatively active and healthy 50 year old woman. Around two weeks ago I suddenly developed a tender area just under and to the left of my left breast. It got worse within a day and has not improved since then. It becomes more painful when I raise my left arm. The discomfort has spread to the bottom of my rib cage on that side and is tender to the touch. There is no discoloration, but the whole area seems to be slightly swollen or spongy. I did not injure myself. Should I be worried about this, or leave it to resolve on it''s own? Thank you.

Nicki

Nicki

I do suggest that you consult a doctor for an examination. It is possible that you have strained a muscle or that there is inflammation present due to injury that you might not have noticed. For reassurance, you should rather consult your doctor.