Question

Pain in Knees when running
I'm 21 years old and have been active all my life, running 100m hurdles at provincial level during high school. My knees have always given me some problems, but lately I can't even run 1km before the pain gets so intense that I can barely walk.
My doctor told me it's because I've sprained my ankles so much that my knees aren't perfectly "in line" anymore, thus causing the pain. He suggested surgery.
Is there anything else I could do (ankle guardes, special exercises) to help me to run again? I would rather not have knee surgery.
Thank you!
Lisa

Lisa, it might be that you have a problem with the ligaments or the cartilage in the knee. The best would be to see an orthopaedic surgeon about it. He might want to do an arthroscopy (use a camera to examine the knee), but it isn’t real surgery. I know you don’t want surgery, but an arthroscopy might mean the end of all your problems. Good luck.