Ask an expert

23 Nov 2005

Pain in right knee
Hello doctor, please could you advise me. I have severe pain in my right knee, this pain is aggravated when climbing stairs, especially walking down stairs.
Many years ago, whilst participating in a race, I fell and bruised my right knee , however, it heled and i did not worry about it therafter. Recently I have noticed that there is pain in that area especially during colder days.
I have begun attending yoga and aerobics class at gym and found that after the aerobics class, the pain became incredible.
I have stopped high impact gym and am just doing gentle exercises.
Can you please advise what could possibly be causing this condition?
Can you also please advise me what type of doctor or specialist to consult?
Should I continue to go to gym in the interim or will it worsen the condition?
Answer 360 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

01 Jan 0001

Dear Mandy
It could be that you chipped of some of the cartilege in your knee and that the loose piece/s are only now affecting you. High impact aerobics could also have injured the knee or triggered the old injury. A specialist orthopaedic surgeon can help you with this. Ask your GP for a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in knee surgery.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17873 votes