Question

Pain in right knee
Hello doctor, please could you advise me. I have severe pain in my right knee, this pain is aggravated when climbing stairs, especially walking down stairs.
Many years ago, whilst participating in a race, I fell and bruised my right knee , however, it heled and i did not worry about it therafter. Recently I have noticed that there is pain in that area especially during colder days.
I have begun attending yoga and aerobics class at gym and found that after the aerobics class, the pain became incredible.
I have stopped high impact gym and am just doing gentle exercises.
Can you please advise what could possibly be causing this condition?
Can you also please advise me what type of doctor or specialist to consult?
Should I continue to go to gym in the interim or will it worsen the condition?
Thanks!
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

Dear Mandy
It could be that you chipped of some of the cartilege in your knee and that the loose piece/s are only now affecting you. High impact aerobics could also have injured the knee or triggered the old injury. A specialist orthopaedic surgeon can help you with this. Ask your GP for a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in knee surgery.