Question

pain started between last two toes and has moved up
A sharp burning pain just before my two smallest toes started in July. It travelled in a straight line to my ankle and is now spreading to the tendons under the arch of my foot. This has been going on since July. I've tried various creams like deep heat, bandaged my foot at night. Relief is temporary. Sometimes it aches. Often when getting up from sitting, I hobble the first few steps. Now because I'm trying to protect my right foot, my left ankle is playing up as well! I am overweight, but have started losing kilos and going to gym to do walking on the treadmill since Jan. Any ideas what this could be?

SF, it sounds like you might have plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a thick layer that runs from the heel to the toes. Plantar fasciitis is pain with stretching of the plantar fascia due to inflammation of the fascia. As this is inflammation, an anti-inflammatory like Voltaren® should bring a degree of relief. If you're interested I can post you something I wrote on the subject some time ago.
Another possibility is that you might have a Morton’s neuroma. It is a pinched nerve between the third and fourth toes that causes transient numbness and or pain. You can have it injected with cortisone and if that doesn’t work, you can have it surgically removed by an orthopaedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon.
In the end the best would be to see an orthopaedic surgeon and see what he says. Good luck.