Question

Painful Big Toe
I have had a lot of pain around my big toe since Monday. It feels like I have sprained it. I have been to the Doctor. He said it could be gout or it may be that I have been bitten by something. By the afternoon each day I can not bend my toe. I can not step on my foot. The pain seems to be on the side of the toe and sole of the foot. I laughed off the idea of gout but after reading up on it I am a little concerned. I do not drink alcohol and don't have any kidney problems as far as I know. If it is gout how will I know and will it go way by itself? I t is so painful that I cannot drive and am not able to walk far.

Gina, it definitely sounds like it might be gout. The best would be to have a blood test done to determine the uric acid level in your blood and make sure. If the pain hasn’t cleared up by Monday, you should see your doctor again. In the meantime you can try taking Citro-Soda®, 2 teaspoons 3 times a day. Good luck.
PS I wrote something on gout a while ago and if you mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za I’ll send you a copy. Good luck.