Question

painful bump on joint of finger
hi doctor burger, for a few days now i have felt a painful bump on the joint of where my index finger meets my hand. if i look at my finger i cannot see anything, only by feeling can i tell that its a hard lump and it is extremely painful when pressure is applied, otherwise i dont really notice it if i dont touch it. it is not very large (it is about the size of those silver sugar balls you get on cupcakes, sorry, thats the only description i can think of :)) any suggestions to what it could be? thank you.

Lisa

It is possible that you have a small ganglion cyst. This is a collection of fluid that has formed due to injury of the tendon in the hand where you feel the hard lump. You should not be too concerned about it, as it might resolve spontaneously. If you experience any pain, you can use Ibuprofen capsules. If it increases in size, consult your doctor.