Ask an expert

14 Jul 2005

Painful burning feet.
Hey doc,

Hope all is well. Welcome to the Health24 family.

I'm 36, a diabetic and overweight (female). Yeah yeah yeah, I know. The weight thing - it needs attention.

But for now, please give advice. I suffer from burning feet. Not the whole foot, just the ball of my foot - not the toes. It's a burning sensation that get's worse as the day progress. This sensations makes it almost impossible to walk.

I take great care of my feet because of the fact that I'm a diabetic. I have no cracked heels, no foot sores, and I massage my feet every night. Since this burning sensation started about a month ago, I have noticed that the skin directly related to the places where the sensation is, is dead and pealing off.

Ok, totally clueless here - need I be worried?

Answer 357 views
Foot expert

01 Jan 0001

I'm 36, a diabetic and overweight (female). Yeah yeah yeah, I know. The weight thing - it needs attention, Your words not mine
prepare to be chastised by me
Your feet are a concern but not as much as your flippant attitude to diabetes is. A 36 year old overweight diabetic with the issues in your feet that you describe can potentially be VERY VERY serious yes you need be worried
Look down at your feet and decide as you read this if you want to keep them. 50% of below knee amputations are performed on diabetics ( a world wide statistic) and usually on diabetics who have a flippant attitude to a disease that is a merciless winner, dont try beat it you will lose starting with your feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now before you sue me take my advice
Got back to the begnning, see your doctor have a check up, see the dietician LOSE WEIGHT it will be easier to control your blood sugars, go to the podiatrist (call The South African Podiatry assn 0861 100 249, ask the secretary who takes your call tosend you to a podiatrist with an interest in diabetes)
please Do what I tell you soon as tomorrow may be too late
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.