Question

painful intercourse
My partner and I only have sexual intercourse in the missionary position (man on top) Is this normal? Any other sex positions is painful for my partner resulting that she is not in favour of exploring new sex positions
sexologist

Interestingly most women that experience pain during sexual intercourse is during the missionary position. Often the women-on-top allows her the option to control the depth as well as the intensity of the thrust more minimizing the pain. It could be that she is anxious trying other positions resulting in her vaginal muscles tightening up encouraging pain. She could benefit from “kegel” exercises – search the web for the clear description of them. The kegel exercises helps the person to gain more control over the muscles directly involved with sex and the more she can control them she will be able to relax them when necessary minimizing the potential for painful intercourse. Furthermore it is important to remember that not all bodies are the same and that not all people’s bodies function the same. It is important for you and your partner to explore and enjoy one another rather than increasing “anxiousness” while making love. Exploring new positions can be anxious provoking and therefore needs to happen with calmness; tenderness and being very well aware of your partner’s response; comfort with t and their experience of it. You are welcome to phone our helpline – 0860100262 where you could be assisted in finding a practitioner as close as possible to you.
Furthermore you are welcome to visit the following website for any more sexual health information and assignments that could be helpful: www.sexualhealth.co.za