Question

Painful joints and swollen ankles
I am a 29 year old woman and for the last 4 months I suffered from swollen ankles and painful joints. This appeared suddenly, the only thing I think triggered this is the fact that I have put too much strain on my knee during gym (I had a knee operation years ago), and it was tender and swollen. The doctor described anti-inflammatory tablets, but after 3 weeks, my ankles became swollen and my fingers extremely stiff and painful.
I went for bloodtests for arthritis but my bloodresults came back normal. The doctor says she does not know what this is, unfortunately I have to wait 8 weeks + for an appointment with a specialist. Any idea what this can be would be greatly appreciated, it is so painful I can hardly open a door or hold a pen. I hoped for an answer after the bloodtests results but as these are normal what can it be?

Bonnie, from this side of the screen it sounds like it might be a form of arthritis, but it would have shown up on the blood tests if your doctor did the appropriate tests. What I find unacceptable is the fact that you have to wait 2 months for an appointment when you can barely hold a pen. You should phone your doctor’s rooms in the morning and tell them how bad your symptoms are and that they should get you an appointment with the specialist for this week. If they can’t, it’s time for a different GP and/or specialist. Good luck.