Question

Painfull knees and legs
My Mom is turning 69 and she is forever complaining about her painfull knees, infact she is battles to walk after sitting down for few minutes.

She takes pain-killers daily. She says she cant function properly if she does not take a pill. She is a nurse by profession, i thought she would run for help when its needed. She went to a specialist once (physician) and he prescribed pain killers.

My question is? isnt there another way of relieving a pain without her having to take pills daily. I have recommended acupuncture but she is a bit sceptical.

I need advice.
natural pain relief doc

Hello Nomsa,
Your mother of 69 will have a certain amount of wear and tear to her knee joints. In order to fully understand the problem I would advise you to see your nearest osteopath.
For more information on osteopathy visit www.osteogoodhealth.com

The best treatment would then be adherence to the correct stretches following appropriate warm up exercise to rehabilitate and strengthen the muscles supporting the knees. Supported by an osteopathic consultation.
I am not aware that acupuncture can have an effect on knee biomechanics.
Pill taking will only ever treat symptoms and not the cause.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath