Ask an expert

12 Jun 2011

Paint fume burns
I have painted wooden poles with a reddish mixture I thought were an oil based protection. My face and hands is red as if severely sunburned. very painful on touch. Am I allergic and if so what is a home remedy?
Answer 352 views
EnviroHealth expert
envirohealth expert

01 Jan 0001

Yes, it sounds like an allergic rash, and it certainly could be a reaction to a chemical(s) in substance (I'm not sure if you're saying it's paint or maybe a varnish?) There isn't a reliable home remedy, apart from avoiding the paint/varnish; you may well need prescription-strength cream or other medication, and treatment is specific depending on the type of rash.

You should really see a doctor about this if it isn't showing signs of improving, or at the very least a pharmacist. The paint/varnish may have worsened an underlying allergy/skin problem. There's also the possibility there are other causative factors.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9321 votes
67% - 18660 votes