Question

pancreatitis
Dear Doc,

I had the whipple procedure last year in august . I have been suffering with pain in my abdomen , the pain is located at my lower back or on my sides . I thought that this would go after a few months , but the pain goes only for a day or two . I have been for an ultrasound and my pancreas is fine . My stools vary in shape and color and my amylase is normal .The pain is especially bad at night after about two hours sleep and then I get no sleep , vomitting sometimes alleviates the pain . I am not sure what causes it or how I can relieve it . The whipple procedure was for a benign growth on my pancreas which blocked the gall bladder and resulted in Jaundice.

Please advise , Desperate .

Terry, the most common cause of pain after a Whipple is leakage from the pancreas and adhesions. The best would be to go back to the surgeon and have him examine you. He will probably request a MRI scan to see if he can find the cause of the pain without having to open you up again. Good luck.