Question

Pap smear, bleeding and conception
(I also posted on gynaedoc, but maybe this forum is more relevant?)

I went for a checkup on Monday during which a Pap smear was done. It was day 14 of my cycle, and there was a lovely 21 mm follicle. So, on Tuesday DH and I did the wild thing, and I had quite a bit of bleeding. The bleeding lasted 2 days and was a bit more than spotting. Pap smear came back normal. I'm guessing that I should have ovulated on Tuesday, so my question is: do you think the bleeding will have reduced my chance to conceive, or is it from the cervix only. I have von Willebrands, so maybe it was due to ovulation as well? what are the chances that I could conceive with all this bleeding?
fertility expert

Dear Racoon

The possibility of contact bleeding following intercourse and /or a pap smear should seriously be considered. However, mid-cyclical hormonal bleeding is also a possibility especially in the light of the Von Willebrands condition. In our practice we quite often see von willebrands problems and these patients often have excess implantation bleeding and require clotting factor transfusions at or about the time of implantation. This should be seriously considered in a very controlled and well monitored IUI cycle to give you optimum results.