Ask an expert

06 Dec 2012

Parental issues
I have always had a difficult relationship with my parents, partially because I suspect that my mother has a borderline personality disorder and is a narcissist. I cant remember ever really getting on with her, and nor do I remember her ever really caring about me - she was more concerned about what she could brag about than actually learning who I was., moved out of home very young, never saw them for years - usual drama story.
Started to talk to them again - probably due to family type obligation / guilt feelings. I have a son, who I know my parents do care about (would not say love because I doubt they know how to love - and I allowed them to actively be involved in his life - however as one could expect, things blew up again when once again I did not meet up to their expectations, and I cut all contact with them, but allowed my son to talk to them on the phone.
The reason that I do not want my son really to be with them, or see them (he is 7), is because of their attitude.
They will interrogate him as to all details of our private life and then my mother will broadcast it to everyone and anyone.
They will run me down to him, my mom specifically has done this on the phone already.
Because they continually where shouting at me, my son has said he does not want to see them again - because he is scared that they will continue shouting etc.
I do not want to see them again - they destroyed my childhood, and I am not letting them destroy my adulthood

So in saying all of this - I am torn - between the whole this is your family type stuff (they are my son''s only immediate family, there is no other blood relatives), and the fact that I really hate them - the years of abuse that I suffered at the hands of my mother - I cant just forget about. The things that she has said to me, and about me have affected huge portions of my life. So why cant I just get rid of the guilt feeling. Am I wrong should I just let bygones be bygones.
I have no idea how to handle the whole situation anymore -and am finding myself getting more and more upset because I would like to have normal loving parents, instead of what I have.
Any advice would be appreciated
Answer 222 views

01 Jan 0001

I responded the other time you poasted this same message.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.