Question

PCOS and endometriosis
I have always had anal bleeding during my periods and eventhough I know this isn't normal, I have always been too afraid to do something about it!
Recently I lost about 10 kilos,but then over the past few months I have put on about 4 kilos despite my healthy eating and daily exercise. I went to my GP who tested my thyroid and blood glucose levels. They were both normal. Because I recently have had irregular periods, he tested my prolactin, FSH, LH, oestrogen and progesterone levels. The prolactin was normal, but the other four hormones were all low. My GP thought this could be due to polycystic ovarian syndrome and referred me to a gynae who I am going to next week.
My questions are:
1. Could I have endometriosis?
2. Would I have to have surgery (particularly bowel surgery due to anal bleeding?)
3. Why is it that when I use a tampon, I do not have anal bleeding?
4. Could I have PCOS?
5. What are the implications (fertility, etc) and treatments if I have both/either of these conditions?
6. Could either of these conditions be the reason for my unintentional weight gain?

Please help -- I'm desperate!!

Thank you!

I suspect that your bleeding is not anal but rather vaginal, if you do not experience it when you use a tampon. Unless you have actually looked in a mirror and seen blood coming from the anus, it is quite easy for blood to flow backwards out of the vagina and appear to be coming from further back. While endometriosis has been described in relation to the bowel, this is extremely rare and your other symptoms do not fit in with this diagnosis.
PCOS can present with irregular periods and weioght gain. Your blood results would be against this though. With PCOS, the LH is usually high in relation to the FSH. The other way of making the diagnosis is on ultrasound.
Rather than worrying about the possible implications of conditions that, from your symptoms, you probably do not have, it would be best to just hear what your gynaecologist says after a full assessment.