Question

PCOS and endometriosis
I have always had anal bleeding during my periods and eventhough I know this isn't normal, I have always been too afraid to do something about it!
Recently I lost about 10 kilos,but then over the past few months I have put on about 4 kilos despite my healthy eating and daily exercise. I went to my GP who tested my thyroid and blood glucose levels. They were both normal. Because I recently have had irregular periods, he tested my prolactin, FSH, LH, oestrogen and progesterone levels. The prolactin was normal, but the other four hormones were all low. My GP thought this could be due to polycystic ovarian syndrome and referred me to a gynae who I am going to next week.
My questions are:
1. Could I have endometriosis?
2. Would I have to have surgery (particularly bowel surgery due to anal bleeding?)
3. Why is it that when I use a tampon, I do not have anal bleeding?
4. Could I have PCOS?
5. What are the implications (fertility, etc) and treatments if I have both/either of these conditions?
6. Could either of these conditions be the reason for my unintentional weight gain?

Please help -- I'm desperate!!

Thank you!

Julie, I’ll answer your questions as you’ve asked them.
1. It’s the first diagnosis on my list. Anal bleeding that only occurs whilst you’re menstruating is endometriosis until proven otherwise.
2. It all depends on how severe the endometriosis is, but I doubt that it is the only option in your case.
3. Interesting symptom and I’m not exactly sure why it’s happening. It might be that you have an incomplete fistula between the vagina and the rectum and that this is sealed off when you insert a tampon. If this is the case one would expect you to have repeated vaginal infections and you don’t mention anything about it.
4. It is a possibility that you have endometriosis and PCOS.
5. Both diseases might have a negative influence on your chances of having a baby, but they can both be overcome.
6. The PCOS could be the reason why you’re gaining weight, but not the endometriosis.
Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.
PS. Please post your reply as a new question and not below my reply because I won’t get your reply if you do.