Question

pcos, thyroid
The doc thinks maybe I have pcos so I have been on Yasmin for a year and my periods are much better. Now I suddenly got so tired and tests showed underactive thyroid so now I'm also on eltroxin. My doc doesn't talk much, so I need to ask you.
1.How does eltroxin work and can I stop it when I feel better? (Someone told me once you start it you can never stop)
2. Is it essential to keep on going back every 6 weeks for blood tests to check thyroid levels ?(I can't really afford that, but after say 6 months I could manage-could I wait that long?)
3. Is the thyroid problem related to PCOS and why did it suddenly appear?
4. If I do decide not to go back for the 6-weekly tests, what must I look out for that is actually dangerous and is it safe to carry on taking a bit too much or too little eltroxin, assuming nothing funny/dangerous happens?

If your thyroid is underactive, that will not chnage so you will need eltroxin for life.
Initially, you should have blood levels checked so that it can be seen what dose of eltroxin is necessary. After 6 months, you should be stable and would only need yearly checks.
The thyroid problem is not related to PCOS.
I would recommend that you have the 6 weekly checks for 3 months. Thereafter you should be able to decrease the frequency.