Ask an expert

04 Dec 2005

penile fracture
I have been diagnosed with a penile fracture.How do I solve this problem? Drugs or surgery?
Answer 359 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Zilver,
The 'fracture' is actually a tear in the tunica albuginea, the thick fibrous coat surrounding the "corpora cavernosum" tissue that produces an erection. It can be treated by:
pain relief
ice packs (always cover with a cloth before applying to skin)
support - tight underpants
anti-inflammatory drugs.

This treatment has satisfactory results in about 80 per cent of patients but in the rest, residual pain and deformity may lead to difficulty with sex. If so, you need a urethrogram (a x/ray test that shows whether the urethral tube is intact) to exclude urethral damage

If the urethra (the tube that you use for passing urine) is not damaged, any collection of blood (haematoma) is drained and repair is carried out to the damaged corpora and tunica by surgery.
Urethral injuries should always be repaired but urethral stricture (narrowing) occurs long term in up to 20 per cent of men after surgery. - they have to go back to have the urethra stretched.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18601 votes