Ask an expert

28 Jan 2008

A guy who lives in my block is making me scared with the things that he says about gangs etc that want to murder him. He seems to be mentally unstable. He suffers from depression at times. He has medication but does not want to take it. He says not to tell him to take it as it is not working. What do you recommend I do. I don't want him to think I'm going behind his back but something is not right. Who should I approach - at the end of the day he must seek help himself.
Answer 391 views

01 Jan 0001

If he's simply someone living on the same block, I;'m not sure what you can do about it, except to seek to ignore him and not to get involved with him. If he asks for advice, advise him to see his shrink again ( and to see a shrink if he's only being treated bya GP ) , and to see a different shrink if he feels he doesn't have confidence in the one he is seeing. As you say, he must seek help himself. If there is serious reason to think he is a danger to himself or others,. the police could become involved and rope in a doc to assess him and consider compulsory treatment, but this doesnt reall sound like that sort of situation.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9321 votes
67% - 18654 votes