Question

peptic ulcer diet
I am 34 years old and just discovered that I do have a peptic ulcer. Could you please advise me as to what food to eat and what to stay away from.I don't abuse tea , coffee or alchohol. I am on medication as prescribe by my g.p. Thank you

Dear Antjie
Generally patients with ulcers need to avoid all spicy foods, curries, condiments, all foods that cause THEM distress (this is a very individual thing, so it may be a good idea to keep a Food Diary for 2 weeks, listing the foods you eat and your reactions and symptoms to make it possible to decide which foods to avoid). Foods that cause gas such as raw onions, cucumber, green pepper, and legumes plus carbonated drinks, may also be a problem - cut them out if they give you symptoms. It is also important to eat regular meals and 5 smaller meals a day if possible, i.e. split up your meals for example have a fruit and cereal for breakfast with low-fat milk or yoghurt and eat the wholewheat toast with cheese or jam which you would normally have eaten at breakfast, at mid-morning. Do this to the rest of your meals. The medication will also help a great deal. Try doing relaxing exercise to prevent stress - go for walks in the fresh air, do yoga or deep breathing - anything to get you to relax as stress is one of the most important causative agents.
Take care