Question

Period & Pregnant
Hi Doctor

I am about six weeks pregnant and since finding out I have had a light browny pink discharge/spotting - mainly when I went to the loo. A few days ago the spotting turned to a thick almost black discharge. I was so sure I was miscarring and very scared. I went straight to my gynae who did a scan and for the first time we heard a tiny little heart beat and my gynae was not worried about the baby he said in two weeks the heart will be stronger and the blurry spot more defined. I was so happy. He said the bleeding was an old period that had not come away and I should not worry too much but must take it easy and not exert myself too much. I am still worried though because when "diagnosing" myself on the net, I see most miscarriages start off with brown spotting. My nausea seems to be settling and my breasts are not so tender - I am still so worried. What do you think about this? Can you advise?
Thank you.

I think that this is a threatened miscarriage. More than 85% of these will settle down and continue normally. Try to rest and avoid intercourse.