Question

Persistant cough for more than 2 months
I have been coughing constantly for more than 2 months. I went to the doctor in May and he gave me Griffon and Pholtex cough mixture after diagnosing a post nasal drip. The cough never stopped, and I had over the counter medication at the phamacy but the cough inever stopped. I again went back to the Doctor and he recommended x-rays which didn t show anything wrong with my lungs. He has now asked me for a sputum, but I have explained that I don''t have any as the cough is very dry. My voice has now been affected because of the constant cough.

Penny

You should ask your doctor for a referral to a pulmonologist (lung specialist). A pulmonologist will be able to give good advice and to suggest treatment. If your cough is preceded by a feeling of reflux and/or heartburn, you should use Gaviscon to prevent the reflux, as reflux can cause irritation and a chronic cough.