Ask an expert

19 Jul 2011

Persistant cough for more than 2 months
I have been coughing constantly for more than 2 months. I went to the doctor in May and he gave me Griffon and Pholtex cough mixture after diagnosing a post nasal drip. The cough never stopped, and I had over the counter medication at the phamacy but the cough inever stopped. I again went back to the Doctor and he recommended x-rays which didn t show anything wrong with my lungs. He has now asked me for a sputum, but I have explained that I don''t have any as the cough is very dry. My voice has now been affected because of the constant cough.
Answer 465 views

01 Jan 0001


You should ask your doctor for a referral to a pulmonologist (lung specialist). A pulmonologist will be able to give good advice and to suggest treatment. If your cough is preceded by a feeling of reflux and/or heartburn, you should use Gaviscon to prevent the reflux, as reflux can cause irritation and a chronic cough.


Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.