Question

Petrified of periods
Good day doctor....please can you offer some advise...I had a traumatic birth with my 2nd child (6 years ago) whereby I suffered placenta accreta. I was lucky in that only 3 weeks after I had her, did they realise the full extent, but the bleeding really was not that bad. After the uterine evac was the problem - I ended up bleeding horribly - was on a drip etc. But this was over within 2 days and life returned to normal until my periods returned a year later (was on injection and also had a cyst so no period for a while). My problem is that I am now petrified of blood (well blood coming from this part of the body anyway) and even though my monthly period is bang on time every month - and has been relatively light, although lasting as it always has for a full 7 days, I am like a nervous idiot throughout the whole thing very scared I will bleed too much. I remember as a teenager soaking through tampons and pad and having clots without a fear in the world, but now even though from the 3rd day onwards I only have to change the tampon every 6 hours and only one side of it is covered, I am afraid. Last month I nearly died of fright - there was a clot, but no heaviness (havent seen a clot in 7 years or so). What should I do - I cannot carry on like this? I dont want to go on the pill or injection as I love knowing when I ovulate and what my body is doing when....I am 34 yrs old.

I would suggest that you see a psychologist to help you overcome this fear.