Question

phenylketonurea
Please explain the symptoms of Phenylketonurea, and can this disease be developed by adults? How is it treated, and can it be prevented?

Sue, phenylketonuria is an inborn error of metabolism. The symptoms present in early infancy as lethargia and poor feeding. If left untreated it can lead to serious neurological damage. Treatment consists of limiting phenylalanine intake and giving special foods.
If you’re interested in more detailed information, mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll cut and paste you something. Good luck.