Question

phlegm
hi, is there a specific operation I can go for to remove phlegm from my throat? Ive tried all the different phlegm medications and none of them help, i just cant get the phlegm up. It basically just sits there in my throat. Ive also used a nebulizer but with no success. What is the next step and what procerdures does this involve? Thanks

Dear J.B
It depends on if the phlegm comes down the throat from the sinuses, or is being produced in the lungs. You need some investigations like lung x/rays and in depth ENT examination with a scope or even sinus MRI's. If the problem lies in the sinuses they can sometimes make it better with an operation but if its coming from your lungs, they normally do not operate but use other treatments to reduce the phlegm forming or to get rid of it ( ie lung physiotherapy)