Question

Phnemonia
I had this terrible "thing" in September was hopsitalised for 3 months. I got flu, phnemonia had the fluid drained (3.2L), then my lung didnt clear and it got worse went for 2nd op, couldnt breath and they couldnt get the pype down my throut, so they didnt do the next op. Then I was sent home for 2 weeks to recover a bit then they operated again, removing one rib pulling my lung out and cleaning it and cutting some away as well as looked at a lump that was luckily not cancerous.

I was in icu for 4 days, nearly died twice. In any case all the "poison" was cut out and after another 2 weeks I went home. It's now 5 months since the last operation and still Im not quite right.

When I sneeze, cough or even breath deeply i have pain. Wen I lie down and turn it's like the lung comes 20minutes later and it feels like a piece of lead. The wound is always itchy and when it's cold it's as if it's worse.

Maybe one just does not recover from such a thing in total?

Im so scared of the winter that's ahead of me.

Dear CP Mom
You probably developed empyema, a formation of pus around the lung with this infection. This can cause thickening of the lining that covers the lung, restricting it and needing operation to remove this ( called decortication). Some patients do not get 100% expansion of the lung and in some cases you can get some thickening again - I think you should see your surgeon for a follow up visit and maybe just chest x/rays again. I am not too worried about the itchyness or sensitivity of the wound - that can take up to a year to recover fully but the heavy feeling of the lung does not sound right to me - it is probably not inflating well or you have a slow leak.

Please ask your doctor if you should not maybe get a flu AND pneumonia vaccine now?