Ask an expert

30 Mar 2007

Phycologist or Rehab?
My husband and I have been down a long road of me knowing has a SOCIAL cocaine problem and trying to stop it.
This problem persists and although it is not a daily occurance it is a weekly one. I am currently 4 months pregnant and my life / marriage is under severe pressure. My husband lies to me about it and it is only when I find (what I am constantly looking for) do things seem to reach a point.
I have done everything to get him to stop this habit, threatened, moved out screamed and shouted to being calm and submissive. Nothing is working, we went to a church pastor 2 weeks ago for counselling and I really believed we were on the road to better things. I am clearly dis-illusioned about the whole scenario as this habbit and the constant deceit behind it is not going away.

My question is simple.. Before bringing a precious baby into this world under these sort of unhappy conditions and before Divorce. Does my husband need to see a shrink or enter a re-hab progamme. He knows what he is doing is wrong but doesn't stop, in saying that it is not something he does everyday so I need clarification on what constitutes needing re-habilitation. Is this bad enough or do you believe seeing a pshycologist will help!

I am at my last ounce of understaning and need help...
Answer 373 views

01 Jan 0001

This habit ought not to be so dificult to stop IF he actually wants to do so. His reluctance and failure to stop so far suggests that he ought to see a shrink working in rehab, and that joint marriage counselling ( preferably with a fully trained counsellor, perhaps through FAMSA ) would be wise as well.
The need for expert help / rehab isn't decided on the basis of how much he takes or how often, but on whether it is disrupting his work and social and family life --- that you are so concerned shows that it IS
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.