Question

PICKING UP WEIGHT SINCE I QUIT DRINKING
i am at my wit''s end. i can''t seem to find anyone willing to help me with this problem.

i decided to quit drinking this year because a) it was turning into a very bad habit and b) i wasn''t losing weight even though i put in the hours at the gym and even though i eat really healthy! it''s been a month now and i thought i''d be dropping weight like there''s no tomorrow (i used to drink a bottle of wine a day!) but instead i''ve been picking up!! i''ve gone from 76kg (beginning of January) to 79kg. my stomach seems to also be slightly swollen and i seem to be retaining a lot more water. i didn''t change anything else so i don''t get it. everyone who knows me is also baffled because they also feel i should be losing seeing as i live a very healthy lifestyle. i also stopped taking milk &  sugar in my coffee. i only eat meat / chicken twice a week (i try to get my proteins from 2 eggs a day and/or mozarella cheese). i rarely if ever eat bread or any white starch. if i do eat carbs it''ll be brown rice or wholewheat pasta (but in moderation). the only " bad"  thing i do is eat chocolate. i train 4 to 5 times a week - swimming, pilates, crossfit and zumba. i''m also a member at the theatre so i''m dancing twice a week as well. i have been sleeping less because of my full schedule (approx 6 hours a day)

i take the following supplements :

1. Calmag
2. Sweden Bitters
3. Solal''s All you need for women 20-50 (i''m 33)

i''ve been looking for info on google but i can''t find any concrete info. is my body just balancing itself out?

Dear Liane
I am glad to hear that you have stopped drinking large quantities of alcohol. However, I must say that I am also rather puzzled that you are not losing weight. I would recommend that you have a medical checkup just to make sure that you do not have an underlying problem such as liver damage or kidney damage, which may or may not be related to alcohol intake and which can cause water retention and oedema (you would weigh more even if your body contains less fat because of the water). Let's first see what is going on with your health and what the dr discovers and then we can make changes to your food intake.