Question

Pieter

My name is Pieter and I have Epilepsy and I would like to know is there some sort of diet that I should follow and what foods to eat and what food to stay clear of.

Pieter

Dear Pieter
In adults there is not really much that can be achieved by diet in epileptic patients. In young children who do not respond to medication, a so-called ketogenic diet (very high in fat) is sometimes used to treat the little patients. You may find it beneficial to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), to explore the use of such a diet in adults, which would have to be done under close supervision.