Question

Piles..heavy bleeding..Coughed up blood?
Good day Doc

I have two Q's for you, please could you advise me.

My father is suffering from Piles (well, thats what doc says and his symptoms point to it). He started bleeding last weekend when he went to loo, then by Monday, he wasnt feeling well, so he went to doc, doc put him on drip as he last to much blood. He was discharge that afternoon and put on medication, then yesterday morning he had more heavy bleeding, so he went back to doc, doc then out him on other meds and said if still continues then he must come back next Monday and then they will have to put camera there to see whats happening.
I am really worried about my dad, I have had piles before and I had a bleed or two but it wasnt near as heavy as his and mine stoped day after the meds. Why is he bleeding so bad?

Ok, 2nd Q.
My dad has been smoking for many years and he is now in his 40's. In December he told me that he had a few accounts of coughing up blood. He has a real bad permanent cough, sounds really bad, he also has moments where he cant breath. My dad is not a Doctor person so even getting to go for the above was alot.
He's treid to stop smoking but I dont think he ever will stop, and how I wish he would.
What could the blood be from.
He has an appointment for his chest next monday as well.
Can you tell me what can the above be?

I am so worried about my dad, he's still young and I dont know what to do.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Daddy's Girl

Dear Daddy's Girl

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I suggest that your father consults a Proctologist, in order for him/her to use the correct instruments to determine the cause of bleeding of the piles. It is possible that he has a mucousal tare or an actively bleeding pile. There are other causes for bleeding directly from the anus and these must be excluded, i.e. diverticulitis.

Regarding your question about your father's chest (coughing blood), I recommend that you wait for the results of the chest x-ray before we make any assumptions.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger