Question

01 Apr 2003

Pill makes wife depressed
Hi, i am 24, my wife is 25. My wife has tried various pills and they all make her depressed. After about one month she will get depressed for weeks. When she stops taking the pill she goes back to normal within days. We have moved to a lighter pill (minesse) and she is now taking vitamin B pills, it helps greatly but she still gets down for extended periods. Is there any last remedy / thing we can try before abandoning the pill completely?? (Pulling out really sucks for both of us)

There are other options on the market taht the two of you can discuss and make a decision. Can I just add that your wife is only 25 and will possibly have to look at another 20 - 25 years of contracpetive use. Unless you have a vasectomy or another great method appears in the next few years.

Other methods include: IUD, male condoms, female condoms, emergency contracpetives (morning after pill), Termination of pregnancy, contraceptive injections, and long term methods will include male and female sterilisation.
I leave you with more info on the IUD:

As with any method of birth control, the IUD has its advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages

Long-term protection — and without the hassle or reminder of prepping (i.e., insertion and removal) for every intercourse
Cost effective
Can be removed at any time by a health care provider
The copper IUD can be used by women who cannot use hormonal methods of birth control
Fertility resumes when it is removed, if a woman does not experience complications from the IUD
Disadvantages

Needs to visit a health care provider for insertion, follow-up exams (including yearly Pap smears as part of a regular gyn exam), and removal
Does not protect against STIs
Necessary to use a back-up method of birth control — such as contraceptive foam, spermicidal jelly, or a condom — for the first three months after insertion
Within the first three months, some women expel the IUD, especially those who have never given birth, who have heavy periods, or who experience severe menstrual pain. In addition, a woman who has expelled an IUD is more likely to expel it again in the future than a woman who never has.
Some women experience complications during and shortly after insertion, including cramping, dizziness, backache, and spotting between periods
Possible change in menstrual flow, PID, perforation of the uterus, or embedding of the IUD in the uterine lining
If pregnancy occurs, the IUD must be removed to prevent pelvic infection or miscarriage
If a woman is considering the IUD, and wonders if it's right for her, discussing her and her family's medical history with a health care provider is a good first step. It's also important to read the informational brochure from the IUD manufacturer and talk about the benefits and risks associated with the specific type of IUD that is recommended.