Question

Pins & Needles & Pain
My name is Henry Selzer. I am an attorney in Durban. I have consulted numerous specialists since October 2000 when I fell ill with what appeared to be a stroke. I was partially paralysed after I collapsed one evening and although I regained my strength after a few months but ever since have pins & needles in my arms and legs which constantly pain. Drs ruled out a stroke. MS or GB and all tests thus far for any medical reason delivered negative results. There is a belief that it could be poisoning but I dont believe it. The pain and loss of sensation in my limbs is more prominent on my right side where I have no feeling to touch or superficial pain. This seems inconsistent with poisoning. Any ideas ???? Thanking you.

Henry, this is a difficult one. It may be poisoning as poisoning doesn’t necessarily have to affect you on both sides. It may also be MS as it’s not easy to rule it out 100% after just one “attack”. I assume you’ve already been to a good neurologist and that you have had a MRI scan done. I suppose I can start guessing or try to bluff my way through this one, but I don’t work like that. I think the best would be to get a second opinion from a different neurologist and see what he says. If he also thinks it’s due to poisoning, there would be no reason to doubt the diagnosis. Good luck.