Question

Please advise..
How does my monthly period interfere with my weight loss, when actually weighing myself? Is it true that I can weigh 2-3 kgs more just before my period due to water retention or what will be the cause?

I am having an argument with someone, if you can please just clear up the myth/misunderstanding for us.

Thanks in advance..

Dear Felix
Fluctuations in hormone levels that occur before, during and after menstruation can cause water retention. Each litre of water weighs 1 kg, so if you are storing extra water you will weigh more even if you have lost fat due to dieting and exercise. So it is perfectly normal to weigh more around your period. Some people even weigh up to 3 kg more between weighing themselves in the morning and the evening. This is one of the reasons why it is not a good idea to weigh yourself every day - do it once a week at more or less the same time.