Question

30 Oct 2006

Please help!!
Can anybody please help me, I've got 20kg to loose and decided to join the gym, but a friend of mine told me that I should diet first and when I've already lost weight then I can go to gym cause I'll be firming the fat If I go now and I wont loose weight. Is that true, cause I'm confused now.

Dear Nono
The person who told you to wait, is wrong. The best way to lose weight is to combine a diet and exercise. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). The exercise will firm up your muscles (not your fat), keep you motivated and positive, and assist with the weight loss - so get to that gym and be as active as possible.