Ask an expert

18 Jul 2011

please help !
hi doc
i met a man who is going through a divorce i have know him for about 5 years and about 2 months ago we starting chatting and met for coffee he is going through a divorce as his wife cheated on him four times, now she has found out abt me and is threatening suicide she told the kids their father doesnt want to come back to them because he has a girlfriend, she acts crazy when he turns his cell off but he does it because she is so abusive, i really dont know what to do we friends at this present time but i feel it could develop into something... can she stop the divorce as she is now saying someone told her him and i were an item before she moved out which is totally untrue. she even has the kids in a state they have been crying but he told me he wont go back to her no matter what but it seems he cant be firm enough with her which is why she is walking all over him.
Answer 398 views

01 Jan 0001

The woman he is divorcing sounds irresponsible and unstable and in ned of counselling. She may indeed not be a fit person to fully and safely care for the children, but of course it's hard for anyone to tell without a direct personal assessment.
This is a DIVORCE, and she is in denial if she expects that her husban will want to return to her, or that he is not allowed to have friends, male or female, who may sympathise.
I don't think she can stop the divorce by changing her story - and if she claims you and he were an item earlier, that hardly makes a convincin argument for them to stay together ! But he needs proper legal advice on such points.
He would be wise to have some of her unpleasantness witnessed, and to find a way to record her ugly calls or messages.
Maybe he tells you, maybe correctly, that he doesn't intend to go back, but it doesn't sound as though he has convinced her of that. so far.
If he has any reason to fear for the safety of the kids, he should involve child welfare and have the situation and her stability, assessed
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.